Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Ocean Quest Dive Centre has conducted all of the diver training for the Capilano University Professional Scuba Dive Instructor program since 2006, so the quality of scuba instruction will be the same.
Here are some key differences.
- The program will be located in Burnaby, BC (part of metro Vancouver). Burnaby is centrally located and close to many amenities. There is easy access to transit.
- For those students are based out of Metro Vancouver so this will keep you from having to relocate for your training. If you are coming in from out of town as we will assist you in finding accommodation.
- We have made some minor changes to the diver certifications offered. We have taken out a couple of courses and added PADI Search and Recovery, Foundations of Diving and Wreck Penetration. We also will include a manufacture sponsored regulator service clinic.
- We added more instructor level credentials (from 5 specialty instructor ratings to 8) giving you more courses you will be able to teach once you complete the program.
See Course Credentials page for more detail on what courses are included.
- There are more dive training days added. We have added more than 20 additional training days to the program. This does not include internship and practical experience opportunities.
- We will be offering more field trips. We have many unique contacts in the local industry and will be organizing some very cool field trips. You will also participate in a series of workshops.
- As the program will be conducted at Ocean Quest there will be opportunities for additional practical experience including in-store experience, equipment maintenance and repair, leading divers and assisting real student divers.
- There will be no academic courses included in the training. The Capilano U Professional Scuba Dive Instructor program is not being offered in 2014 due to Provincial budget cuts. The Capilano University Professional Scuba Dive Instructor program included a combination of academic training (provided by Capilano U) and dive training (provided by Ocean Quest). We are continuing to offer the diver programs to accommodate students who want to meet their goals in becoming PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors.
You will earn two certificates upon the successful completion of your training. You will earn a Career Development Scuba Instructor Certificate from Ocean Quest. Ocean Quest is a registered Private Post Secondary Institution with the PCTIA (Private Career Training Institutions Agency). PCTIA sets basic education standards for registered private career training institutions in BC.
As one of only a handful of PADI Career Development Centres in the world, Ocean Quest training is highly regarded both in Canada and internationally. We have personally assisted 100's of divers achieve their PADI instructor ratings and find success in the diving industry. Over the past 20 years we have established many relationships and contacts.
Of course you will also earn a series of PADI credentials including your PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, Emergency First Response Instructor and 8 Specialty Instructor ratings.
As a PADI Open Water and Specialty Instructor, you will be able to teach a variety of scuba programs anywhere in the world. Many instructors find employment at dive centres, resorts, cruise lines, live aboards, equipment manufacture's, training agencies (like PADI), we have seen instructors travel the world as underwater photo journalists - there are many options available to you!
Ocean Quest is one of the busiest dive centres in Canada. You will have many opportunities to gain practical experience within the program. Once you complete your training, you will be fully ready to join the workforce. Ocean Quest has many contacts both locally and internationally and will assist you in finding employment.
Yes, you will be able to work. You will want to ensure that you have all training days available. You will also want to have time to dive on your own time and gain practical experience outside of the training days.
Each year we have a mix of students with and without vehicles. We can typically arrange car pooling to dive sites amongst students. If you do not have transport, let us know so we can offer advice on where to reside, etc. for the program.
There is no financing available for the program tuition at this time. Ocean Quest does have financing available for materials and equipment. Financing is through a reputable finance company and is upon approved credit.
If you have any other questions about the program, please do not hesitate to contact us.